The other night I was having a conversation with my friends about our sex drives. I know, a somewhat bizarre conversation to be having, especially in pub, which is where we were, but I love when friends can be honest and open with each other about personal stuff. The conversation stemmed from our discussion about the new release of Fifty Shades of Grey, which as anyone who has read the books or seen the movies knows, the characters have no issues with not being in the mood.
I started telling my friends about natural ways that they can boost their libidos – herbs, superfoods, even workouts that can enhance their desires. I thought our readers could benefit from this info too.
Ashwagandha – Adaptogen. Hormone Balancer. Stress Reliever.
An Ayurvedic antioxidant for immune health, sexual vitality and harmonizing mood. Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, therefore it serves the body how the body needs – increasing or decreasing stress hormones such as cortisol, energizing the body when it needs it or calming the body and nerves when it requires sleep. For women and men, taking ashwagandha has been shown to increase sexual desire and satisfaction. Additionally, it has been shown to aid in fertility. Stress, illness, and hormone imbalance all threaten reproductive health and can make it difficult to conceive. Regular consumption of Ashwgandha can help with these issues.
Cacao – Mood Booster. Metabolism Booster. Aphrodisiac.
Cacao is full of antioxidants and magnesium. It can be ingested in many forms – a powder, cacao nibs or as a paste or liquor. Cacao boosts the mood – giving a feeling of joy and well-being, nourishes the nervous system, which can decrease the effects of stress, increases metabolism and sparks libido.
Cardamom – Anti-Inflammatory. Digestive. Detoxifier. Aphrodisiac.
Cardamom is used for digestive concerns. It aids in waste elimination and is a mild detoxifier. It also balances energy and blood flow and is a stimulating aphrodisiac.
Vanilla – Aphrodisiac. Stress Alleviator. Nervous System Soother.
Vanilla is an ancient aphrodisiac that nourishes the nervous system and reduces stress. It’s an antioxidant that includes magnesium, potassium, calcium and manganese.
Maca – Adaptogen. Hormone Balancer. Libido Booster. Energy and Mood Enhancer.
Maca is a Peruvian root that’s an adaptogen, meaning it responds to different bodies’ needs. It’s recognized for it’s ability to enhance energy, balance hormones, boost libido and elevate mood. With a caramel, nutty flavor, maca gives a delicious flavor to baked goods, homemade chocolate, sweet smoothies and much more.
Shatavari is used to aid the female reproductive system by regulating the levels of the female hormones. It is cooling, calming and nourishing and helps to helps to restore hormone balance and regulate the menstrual cycle.
Pine Pollen – Hormone Balancer. Libido Booster. Love Enhancer.
Pine pollen is a potent source of testosterone, and because of this it increases sexual performance by boosting testosterone levels. Pine pollen is also rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids and will increase energy levels.
Here are a few recipes where you can easily incorporate many of these ingredients.
Get In The Mood Raw Chocolate
- 1/2 cup melted cacao butter
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons honey, agave, yacon root syrup, coconut nectar or other sweetener
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon carob powder or mesquite powder
- 1 teaspoon reishi powder or liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of Himalayan pink crystal salt
- pinch of chili pepper
- Pinch of shatavari
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth but still liquid. If it’s too thick, add more coconut nectar or melted cacao butter.
- Taste it and make sure you are in love, otherwise adjust it to your desires.
- Pour into chocolate molds or onto parchment paper and set in the fridge for an hour or two, until solid.
Red Hot Love Bites
- ⅓ cup heaped oat flour
- ⅓ cup level ground almonds
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp beetroot powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maca
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ashwagandha
- Pinch cardamom
- ¼ cup coconut butter, melted
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp water, or more as needed to bring together
- 1 cup chocolate, melted
- Combine flour to cardamom ingredients and pulse.
- Add melted coconut butter, dates and water and pulse again to combine.
- Add the dough to silicone chocolate molds.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the dough has set and hardened a bit, remove the pieces from the molds.
- Dip the pieces in the melted chocolate and set back in the fridge to harden for an hour or so.